Sacroiliac Joint Dysfunction & Chronic Lower Back Pain

Need help and can't find anyone to help me. I have bilateral sacroiliac joint dysfunction and chronic lower back pain!

I had a terrible fall back in 2004 ( both fest flew out from underneath me and I fell on a concrete tile floor on my left hip and twisted my lower back) which has caused severe pain in my left hip, lower back, buttocks, groin, and pain that radiates down my left leg.  It is also causing pain down my right leg now. I have been in severe pain for almost 5 years.  I have had to get disability from my job that I had for 15 years. I have been to doctor after doctor trying to find out what is wrong.  I have been diagnoised with Bilateral Sacroiliac Joint Dysfunction, Chronic Lower Back Pain, Left Lumbar Radiculopathy, and Spasms.  I am not getting any better.  If fact, the pain is getting worse and I am now limping quite a bit on my left leg.  I am unable to sit, stand, bend, or  walk for long periods of time.  Usually no longer than 10- 15 minuntes without being in severe pain.  At this time I am only getting medications for my pain. My doctors tell me there is nothing else they can do.  I am now just grasping at straws trying to find a doctor or someone that knows anything about my diagnosis.  I need to find someone that can help me.  This is a very short version of what has happened to me in the last 5 years.  It would take all night to explain everything that has been done since my fall.  Is there anyone that can help me?  Maybe you know a doctor or someone else that has this type of diagnosis.  Thanks for any help you can give.

The URI to TrackBack this entry is: http://trusted.md/trackback/73877

Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on Sun, 05/03/2009 - 12:51pm.

Have you seen a licensed massage therapist or physical therapist?  Well trained licensed massage therapists with experience in medical massage, chronic pain and muscular-related pathologies should be able to assist you.  Some PTs also have developed hands-on training, but many still limit their treatments to  heat, exercise and ultrasound.  Finding a good PT with Myofascial Release and trigger point training might help.

Based your description I would explore bodywork.  If you choose massage therapy just be sure the licensed massage therapist is fully trained and qualified.  Sources like www.massagetherapy.com and www.amtamassage.com are good places to start.  Some insurances cover massage so make sure you do your research in advance.  Also health savings plans and similar pretax plans reimburse for massage therapy.  It is also covered by worker's comp and no fault (NYS).

All the best.

Lesley

NYS Licensed Massage Therapist

Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on Thu, 05/07/2009 - 4:26pm.

Hi.

Your condition sounds very familiar to me. I'm just a patient but I've experienced everyone of your symptomns. Take Heart.

I have been suffering from lower back pain and sciatica on and off for the last 4 years. 3 years ago I was unable to walk for longer than 5 minutes without crippling over in pain. having visited a chiropractor and accupuncturist for several months I was able to go about my daily routine with only a low level of pain which dissapeared entireley after a few months. However recently after a round of golf i found myself  again nursing a sore back, after resting on the couch for half an hour I was unable to move for the next few days without coming very close to blacking out from the pain. Eventually i visited a different chiropractor who practised a completeley different method, and are considered to be at the forefront of sacro iliac seperation and spinal subluxation treatments. http://oxfordchiroclinic.com/custom_content/12497_category_ii.html. 48 hours after the first treatment i was able to stand and walk  for short periods without too much pain. It has been 4 weeks now and I am nearly pan free. VISIT A QUALIFIED CHIROPRACTOR.

Hope this helps. Get well soon

Submitted by Glen (not verified) on Thu, 05/21/2009 - 8:29am.

I am 29 and have had lower back pain since my mid-teens.  I am 6ft 3" so this doesn't help at all.  Most of the time I'm fine but then there will be this one day where I get out of bed as normal and that's it...twang...and I'm in agony for days, off my work, can't walk, etc.  A few years ago I met my wife and he father also has severe back pain. He fell on a building site 15 years ago and never told anyone or got treatment. He had the supposed miracle operation to fix his back but it didn't work. He gave me a loan of his Flexibak exercise cradle and it has been the best treatment I've done. I ended up buying one for myself because it was in no pain at all. My father in law swears by it, he is self employed and can't afford to be out of work so this cradle keeps food on the table for them.

#4: Thanks
Submitted by Lisa19 on Sun, 05/24/2009 - 12:01am.

Thanks for the information.  I will look into the massage therapist.  I  had physical therapy twice for 6wks each time.  I did get some relief.  At one point I coulfd not even put my leg off the side of the bed but I don't have any problem doing that now.  The PT I had was 4 years ago.  I am going to talk to my doctor  and let them know what you suggested.  It probably would be a good idea to have PT again and/or massage therapy.  Thanks a lot.

Lisa

Submitted by Lisa19 on Sun, 05/24/2009 - 12:11am.

I want to thank everyone that has commented.  I plan on looking into to each suggested.  Anything I can do to help my pain is greatly appreciated.  Back pain and hip pain is so miserable.  Thanks again to everyone.

Lisa

Submitted by david s. on Thu, 07/09/2009 - 12:46pm.

see irwin abraham, m.d. , who has a website. He practices sports medicine and rehabilitation.  He uses prolotherapy, to strengthen injured ligaments and tendons, such as the ligaments in the SIJ.  He has successfully treated numerous cases of SIJD.  He will train you in techniques developed by Richard DonTigny, P.T., who is in his 70s, and has successfully treated thousands of cases of SIJD. (DonTigny also has a website). DonTigny trained Irwin Abraham, and, though geographically remote from one another (Abraham is in N.Y.C., DonTigny in  the Midwest), they work collaboratively.  DonTigny has published numerous papers on SIJD. Either one can recommend someone in your area.  Good luck.

Submitted by Eric P. (not verified) on Fri, 07/24/2009 - 9:32am.

I fell two stories backwards off a Townhouse and landed on the extension ladder, bending the rungs of the ladder into the pavement with my back! I can walk and I fractured my L-4 but now I have EXACTLY the same symptoms as you! I cannot tell you how relieved I am to hear your story cuz I have been telling so many Doctors my issues but nobody has been able to fix it, let alone believe me. This last Doctor is an idiot and "It's all in my head" is what he told me.  MRI's aren't picking it up they say but I think they just weren't/aren't looking in the right place!My acident happend in 2004 but now I'm having so much pain with this it's killing me.

I guess i should have read on about what you wrote but I got too excited so I wrote this first. I was going to ask you what did you finally do but I'm sure it's in the rest of your story.

Any advice for me where my situation is concerned?????

Eric

Submitted by Mel0004 on Sat, 09/05/2009 - 7:02pm.

Hi there,
I know first hand what you are talking about, I had the exact same symptoms for 8 years and ended up in a very severe state. I had severe bilateral Sacroiliac Joint Dysfunction (SJD), severe Piriformis Syndrome, Sciatica and Radiculopathy (Degerative Disc Disease in my low back...L5-S1 annular herniated disc with tear and L4-L5 bulge/ C-5, C-6 Herniated discs). As far as SJD goes, IT DOES NOT SHOW UP ON ANY MRI's or CT Scans or X-Rays (for explainable reasons). Anyways, for 7 of those long, painful and unpredictable years, no one (including me) knew 'what was wrong' with me!  SJD has yo-yo symptoms and can be a roller coaster ride not just physically but also emotionally because just when you think you've beat it, another flair up comes and life flips upside down again.
Over the years I diligently tried EVERYTHING I was recommended by well-meaning people: PT's, Chiropractor, Message, Acupuncture, Prolotherapy and over 10 Specialists and finally ended up in a Chronic Pain Clinic! Unfortunately, none of it helped, but actually made me worse.
The last several years my family and I have poured over hours and hours of in-depth research; reading many medical journals as well as studies. In 2008 we finally found the most competent medical professionals available who are EXPERTS and pioneers of SJD treatment (going back 26 yrs practicing with SJD patients) these experts also address is the various conditions that can accompany SJD.
I cannot express what it felt like to finally speak to a PT/Physician team who understands the complexities of this condition and can even finish my sentences for me because they understand it so intimately. I'm used to the doctors and Therapists ending up just as puzzled as I. In 2007, another SJD patient kindly extended her hand to me to help me get to the help I needed. She had gone before me and was very knowledgeable and experienced in this field. Up until this point I thought I was an anomaly, now I found out that there were other people who had what I did!
My recovery is still underway and I have made some impressive strides. I have been given so much help, I have gone from hopeless to hopeful again. I want to help as many people as possible who are suffering in the pain and emotional turmoil which can accompany because I know it saved my life and that of my family. I have allowed my name and email to be given out to those who ask, and have happily helped point several women in the right direction now. I just want to 'pay this forward'.
Google "Sacroiliac Joint Dysfunction" and "Piriformis Syndrome" and "Sciatica".  Most likely, much of your symptoms will line up with the descriptions.
Next Google journals by Dr.Alan Lippet (since retired) and look up Vicki Sims PT and read her articles and finally go look into Vicki Sims clinic at: http://www.gainesvillept.com/ourstaff.html. The Orthopaedic surgeon who works with Vicki Sims is in the same vacinity and his name is Dr.David Weiss (It makes a huge difference which doctor you see in this regard, please be cautious.) This will get you started in the right direction! Vicki Sims runs an Out of Town program for SJD patients...Just now I went onto her website and cut and pasted this section for you...

_________________________________________________________________________________

OUT OF TOWN TREATMENT

Please call our office at 404.817.0734 (phone 770-297-1700) to arrange your week-long treatment package.

Platinum Plan

- 6 hours of uninterrupted treatment over 4-5 days
- Detailed Musculoskeletal evaluation
- Self corrections and family assisted correction techniques
- Comprehensive stretching and core stabilization program
- 6 weeks SIJD protocol

*Our clinics are in network with select insurance plans. If you are interested in filing insurance, please contact the office manager at our clinics prior to your visit.

_______________________________________________________________________________

...there's also a great book by Vicki Sims called "The Secret Cause of Low Back Pain", it's very consice yet thorough and insightful. When I am at Physiotherapy, I often meet patients who come here from all over the USA just for this (we are one of them!). You'd be in good company!
Let me know if you would like to talk with me via email. Although my time is limited (between my kids and rehab) I would be happy to help in anyway I can. Even though there is no monetary gain for me while giving a portion of my time to help other SJD sufferers, I am so happy when I have been even a small part of some ones road to recovery!
There is help!

Mel

Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on Tue, 11/15/2011 - 6:41am.

I have had low back surgery (disectomy) in 1998. Then bursitis crept in due to awkward gait.
Right now, I CANNOT sit unless I have the donut pillow. Walking or standing, forget it. I am using crutches because my back is literally giving out from under me.

I have kept my weight down by eating tiny portions and barely any carbs.

I think I need an MRI, since I have not had one in quite a few years. This is a workers comp injury and I have been on disability since 2005.

I had the massage, I have done everything above, to NO avail.
I also have degenerative disc disease, and was told years ago I needed a fusion, but have delayed it as long as possible, I still do not want one, but am wondering if this will ever get better. Honestly, I can continue on like this...I am now on avinza (morphine) as well as oxycodone and gabapentin,(nerve med) and norflex (muscle relaxer).

I cannot stay on MORPHINE forever...healthcare or no-care?

#10: Hi Lisa
Submitted by Back Pain Relief on Fri, 01/20/2012 - 12:45pm.

Really sorry to hear about your situation and hope it's much improved and that you're fully recovered since then. I injured my back pretty badly when I was in my late teens playing rugby. I sought out back pain relief in multiple forms including exercises (yoga and pilates), medication and massages. Fortunately, I was able to avoid surgery. All the best to you.